Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Heart and Soul of the Matter

I am a psychologist by training and trade. Understanding human behavior governs the majority of my actions and the work I am engaged in, whether as a counselor, filmmaker, or teacher. I first became interested in media and its impact on behavior while teaching ELA and literature to 9th and 10th graders. I noticed that my students became quickly bored with rote presentation of daily materials. Their interest in the lessons peaked, however, once I began to incorporate visual and tactile elements, such as projects, videos, and magazine and newspaper journaling. Later, in my work as a counseling psychologist, I continued to use some of these same elements to help clients work through emotional blockages and connect to inner pain. In fact, I discovered, the use of narratives in particular, was an important tool in helping clients identify and voice many of the issues they faced.

I recall working with a group of teenagers, classified as seriously and emotional disturbed, who created a series of characters loosely based on themselves for a video log. They crafted stories around the characters then video taped themselves acting out the stories. As we viewed and processed the logs, the response from them was overwhelming. Viewing their images recreating these fictitious stories opened them, and allowed them to discuss real life experiences.  That process led to shifts in behavior that were reflected in how they managed conflict and pursued goals. I became convinced that using multimedia forms of communication should be a necessity in any counseling situation.

However, both my undergraduate degree in psychology and my master’s program in psychological counseling (with the exception of one class on Children and Television) had been devoid of any connection of a link between media and the human condition. My interest in the topic continued to grow, especially in relation to how media can influence and effect positive change. This interest influences the work I currently engage in as a filmmaker and an educator.

Recently I was involved in producing a series of short films designed to generate HIV/AIDS awareness. We screened one of the films, Earl's Post Prison Playdate, on a college campus and the message was so powerful, it motivated a majority of the audience to act immediately by getting tested right after the screening at testing stations located outside the venue. I had spent years working to induce change in clients and students and in a few short minutes, a strong emotional visual had incited action that impacted behavior instantly. My goal as a Media Psychologist would be to connect with the heart and soul of consumers in that manner.

As a Media Psychologist, I envision myself understanding consumer needs and delivering solutions that meet those needs. I am interested in developing content that creates connections with consumers based on real human experiences, producing value while offering an authentic voice. Creating environments for storytelling is critical in achieving that goal and from this program I hope to gain the tools to enrich my ability to do so. Ultimately, what I hope to achieve is a greater understanding of how behavior is influenced through consumer interaction with various media types, with the goal of producing better experiences and solutions with media.




Digital communications strategist, Gary Goldhammer, provides an overview of the importance of using narratives in digital communication.  His points are reflective of my philosophy on the topic.






No comments:

Post a Comment